What was most helpful in gaining your first board role?
- Recommendations from people whom they have worked with (clients, bosses)
- Relationship with board chairmen or directors
What sort of networking was most useful?
- Express interest in serving on boards to board directors
- Reach out to people influential in director selection (e.g search firms or trusted advisers such as lawyers, auditors, investment bankers)
- Networking through common membership of professional organisations
- Only 1 said that directorship on non-profit boards was useful
Which of your skills/experience does your board value the most?
- Strategic thinking / Business acumen
- Personal Standing
- Financial Knowledge
Which skills would you encourage aspiring board directors to build?
- Financial Literacy
- Managing Human Capital
- Business P&L Management
- Building Executive Presence and Projecting Confidence
What advice would you give to those seeking their first board role ?
- Know what you bring to the business / the board & assess the match between your skills and experience and the requirements of the board
- Consider time commitment required
- Build up personal brand and pitch (succinct biography, highlight experiences and unique skills relevant for boards)
- Network broadly & express your interest in serving on a board to people who are influential in director selection
- Get some board experience in professional organisations or non-profit boards
- When an opportunity arises, do careful due diligence, particularly in relation to the other personalities on the board.
- Be clear of the type of company or industry that interest you
- Get board training
Download in PDF format